I just downloaded the textbook I have been waiting for! I know it’s grammatically incorrect to end a sentence with a preposition, in fact it’s one of my pet peeves, but I’m that excited. I now have in my possession, The Skilled Helper: A Problem-Management and Opportunity-Development Approach to Helping, Ninth Edition by Gerald Egan. Some of the chapters include:
- · The Helping Relationship: Values in Action
- · The Communication Skills of Therapeutic Dialogue
- · The Art of Probing and Summarizing [the Art!!]
- · Partner with Clients in Their Search for Value
- · The Way Forward: Help Clients Develop Plans to Accomplish Goals
I loved my Development textbook with all the theories on how we become who we are. It was a really good one, but this book is special. It’s relevant and tangible and full of promise. Boiled down, it’s an instructional manual on how to do what I want to do. I rarely read instruction manuals, I have no patience for them, but this one, I can’t wait. Class doesn’t start for a week, but I’m beginning today. In fact, I think I’ll do that right now J.